You just sat down to sip your iced coffee, and just seconds later you are cringing in pain. What's the deal? Sudden tooth sensitivity is caused by many different things. For example, the overuse of tooth whitening products is a common culprit. If you need relief as soon as possible, you have a few quick solutions to choose from.
Store Bought Solutions For Sensitive Teeth
- Tooth Desensitizing Gel – Tooth desensitizing protects your teeth from the pain. These gels often contain potassium nitrate to help reduce sensitivity. They also contain bonding agents to help the gel adhere to your teeth.
- Sensitivity Relief Strips – Sensitivity relief strips work similarly to desensitizing gel, and they contain many of the same active ingredients. The strips are easily applied to your teeth, and you wear them for a short period of time. Many brands suggest wearing them for 10 minutes.
- Toothpaste For Sensitive Teeth – Like the options mentioned above, sensitivity toothpaste contains potassium nitrate and strontium chloride. This type of toothpaste may provide both immediate relief and long-term relief.
Homemade Remedies For Sensitive Teeth
- Baking Soda – Baking soda can naturally desensitize your teeth, so use it to make a mouth rinse. Add a teaspoon of baking soda to a glass of warm or room temperature water. Rinse thoroughly to alleviate sensitivity.
- Salt Water – Like baking soda, you can make a mouth rinse out of salt to reduce sensitivity. Use the same recipe given above to take the edge off of your discomfort.
- Echinacea Tea – Echinacea tea is often used as a homeopathic remedy for colds. It may also relieve your tooth sensitivity. If you do not have any on hand, visit the health food section of your grocery store. Alternatively, you can use thyme tea or sage tea if you have those on hand.
Visiting An Emergency Dentist For Sensitive Teeth
If you want professional dental treatment for your sensitive teeth, there is no need to wait for long periods of time. An emergency dentist can promptly treat your issue and provide long-term solutions for your discomfort. Some options offered by emergency dentists may include:
- fluoride varnish application
- plastic resin application
- emergency tooth extraction
The treatment offered will depend on the cause and severity of your sensitivity. Emergency dentists like http://www.claremontdentalinstitute.com are frequently open on evenings and weekends, so do not wait in pain any longer. Seek help for your sensitive teeth, and you will be enjoying your iced coffee again in no time.